This position is in the Office of Information Technology (OIT), Area Operations and is located at a VA facility. The primary duties and responsibilities include providing Point of Care Customer Service in accordance with established policies and procedures of the specific VA facility assigned.
Learn more about this agency
**This is an open continuous announcement which will be used to fill vacancies in all service lines and locations within VISN 5 VA Capitol Health Care Network. External applicants will be reviewed as needed and those found qualified may be invited to interview for current and/or future vacancies.**
Duties include by not limited to the following:
As an IT Specialist (Customer Support), you will provide a variety of Information Technology (IT) customer support services essential to the effective performance of Veterans Administration (VA) Systems. The work involves the planning and delivery of technical support services, including troubleshooting, installation, removals, moves, systems knowledge and assistance in response to customer requirements. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Ensuring Help Desk tracking and IT asset Information is accurate
- Ensuring organized data closets when adding or removing patch cabling
- Supporting telecommunications systems configurations related to Moves, Adds, and Changes (MAC)
- Diagnosing and resolving problems in response to customer reported incidents
- Investigating and recommending purchase of tools and technologies to improve responsiveness to customer requirements
- Managing moves and/installations of IT equipment to assure coordination of IT support and customer service
- Providing feedback on problematic trends and patterns in technical support to team leads and/or supervisor
- Developing and maintaining problem tracking and resolution databases ensuring accurate records are filed
- Installing and configuring VA approved software applications
Work Schedule: This position supports 24/7 operations throughout the calendar year. Work is typically performed on the day shift; however, candidate may be subject to overtime work, shift work, and/or work on rotating shifts to include evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Position Description Title/PD#: Information Technology Specialist (CUSTSPT)/PD15265-A, PD15264-A, and PD15263-A
Physical Requirements: The work of the IT Specialist (Customer Support) is both sedentary and active, requiring walking through out the medical center. Duties may require lifting, carting and carrying computer equipment such as monitors and printers weighing 20-40 pounds. Asking assistance from other specialist to help with lifting is encouraged. There may be limited crawling under desks and behind areas to gain access to equipment. The work is performed in the facility’s computer repair workroom and in various business and/or clinical settings. There will be instances where the employee will need to crawl under/over/behind desks, through various types of furniture to get to the device in need of repair. There is some exposure to circuitry of electronic equipment during bench-top or on-site analysis of problems or testing. In the latter situation, the employee must apply knowledge and reasonable precautions to and personal injury or damage to the equipment. Occasional travel may be required on short notice.
Promotion Potential: The selectee may be promoted to the full performance level without further competition when all regulatory, qualification, and performance requirements are met. Selection at a lower grade level does not guarantee promotion to the full performance level.
25% or less – You may be expected to travel for this position.
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. citizen to apply for this job
- Subject to a background/suitability investigation
- Designated and/or random drug testing may be required
- May serve a probationary period
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- A complete application package; Resume, Transcripts, etc
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
For GS-7: Applicants must have One year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade (GS-5) in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization. Examples of specialized experience would typically include, working knowledge of office automation software, e-mail configuration, terminal emulation packages and network printer configuration.
For GS-9: Possess at least one year of specialized experience at the next lower grade level GS-07). Examples of specialized experience would include:
- Possessing in depth knowledge of the organization’s Information Technology infrastructure;
- Applying customer support concepts and methods sufficient to installing, configuring, and testing software on customer workstations;
- Applying Information Technology methods and procedures for documenting resolutions, maintaining problem resolution databases,
- Troubleshooting and data analysis techniques and coordinating customer support activities sufficient to receive, responding to and ensuring complete resolution of the more complex Help Desk call;
- Providing comprehensive software, Information Technology systems or equipment guidance and/or training to enhance customer knowledge, as well as to prevent problematic recurrences of Help Desk Inquiries.
Education: Applicants may substitute education for the specialized experience required for each grade level. (Transcripts Required)
A master’s degree or equivalent graduate degree or 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master’s degree or equivalent graduate degree in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management -OR- a master’s degree or equivalent graduate degree or 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master’s degree or equivalent graduate degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks. A transcript (official or unofficial) or course listing must be submitted with your application package.
For GS-11: Possess at least one year of specialized experience at the next lower grade level (GS-09). Examples of specialized experience would include:
- Applying customer support concepts and methods;
- Installing operating systems, network systems, applications, protocols, and equipment; and the Information Technology infrastructure sufficient to serve as senior customer technical analyst responsible for resolving the most complex customer problems;
- Applying customer support concepts and practices and new customer support technologies sufficient to evaluating and reporting on new information technology tools and trends related to customer support services;
- Recommending purchase of new tools to enhance the delivery of customer support services;
- Applying customer support concepts and methods; procedures for troubleshooting and recovering systems and files; and customer organizations Information Technology infrastructures sufficient to review, validate, and standardize problem resolutions for inclusion in the problem resolution database;
- Possessing in depth knowledge of the organization’s Information Technology infrastructure; Information Technology security principles and skill in applying customer support concepts and methods sufficient to install, configure, and test software on customer workstations and peripheral devices;
- Applying Information Technology methods and procedures for documenting problem resolution, troubleshooting and data analysis techniques as well as coordinating customer support activities sufficient to receive, responding to and ensuring complete resolution of complex Issues beyond what a Help Desk can resolve.
Possess a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management-OR-Ph.D.
or equivalent doctoral degree or 3 fully years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D.
or equivalent doctoral degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development and adaptation of applications, systems or networks. A transcript (official or unofficial) or course listing must be submitted with your application package.
In addition to the specialized experience described above, you must have IT-related experience in each of the following four competencies listed below which must be supported by the information contained in your resume and other application materials.
Selective Placement Factor: This position includes a skill, knowledge, ability or other worker characteristic basic to -and essential for- satisfactory performance of the job. Selective Placement Factors are a prerequisite to appointment and represent minimum requirements for a position. Applicants who do not meet it are ineligible for further consideration. Evidence of the Selective Placement Factor must be reflected in your resume.
The Selective Placement Factor for this position is : Demonstrated experience monitoring, diagnosing, troubleshooting and resolving operating/network systems, hardware and software issues; and take appropriate follow-up action.
Preferred Certification: Applicant should have ITIL Foundations (v3 or 2011), CompTIA A+, Network+, and Security + certifications. Please provide a copy of each certification.
Experience: Experience must be IT related; the experience may be demonstrated by paid or unpaid experience and/or completion of specific, intensive training, as appropriate.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/ .
If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
VA supports the use of telework as a way to help attract and retain talented individuals in public service, increase worker productivity, and better prepare the agency to operate during emergencies. This position may be authorized for telework. Telework eligibility will be discussed during the interview process.
The Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) and Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) provide eligible displaced VA competitive service employees with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. To be well-qualified, applicants must possess experience that exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors if applicable, and must be proficient in most of the requirements of the job. Information about ICTAP and CTAP eligibility is on OPM’s Career Transition Resources website which can be found at https://www.opm.gov/ .
Receiving Service Credit for Earning Annual (Vacation) Leave: Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. VA may offer newly-appointed Federal employee’s credit for their job-related non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave. Such credit must be requested and approved prior to the appointment date and is not guaranteed.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies. Eligible applicants will be referred for consideration as vacancies occur on an as-needed basis until positions are full.
This position is primarily aligned to the following NICE Cybersecurity Workforce Framework work roles: “OPM Cyber Code – Work Role Name Technical Support Specialist, #411.” For more information about these work roles, where they fit within the larger Cyber Workforce, and how they can support your unique career journey, please visit the Cyber Career Pathways tool on the National Initiative for Cybersecurity Careers and Studies website ( https://niccs.us-cert.gov/workforce-development/cyber-career-pathways )
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application .
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE WILL NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. Applicants will be referred in alphabetical order.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Noncritical-Sensitive (NCS)/Moderate Risk
Trust determination process
- Cover Letter
- DD-214/ Statement of Service
- Disability Letter (VA)
- Professional Certification
- Separation Notice (RIF)
- SF-50/ Notification of Personnel Action
Please review the above list(s) to ensure you have included all necessary documents required for your application.Not every applicant will require the same documents, therefore it is the applicants responsibility to ensure that their application package includes all necessary documents to determine qualifications and eligibility for appointment, such as a copy of your SF-50, transcript, ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees). You will not be contacted for additional information. Applicants will be deemed ineligible if supporting documentation is not submitted.
Veterans’ Preference: Since the Direct-Hire Recruitment Authority is being used, traditional Veterans’ Preference rules do not apply. Qualified veterans will, however, be given full consideration for this position.
Applications are accepted online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.